Monday, January 2, 2012

Psalm 119 Sisters-Getting Started!

Ok so this is long, but bear with me please!

So about this time last year, my sister, Melanie, sent out an email to some friends, challenging us to join her in learning 24 verses of scripture in the year 2011.  Beth Moore, a great author, speaker, etc. challenged her blog community to learn 24 scripture verses.  You can check out her blog at: http://blog.lproof.org/

Well I joined on in, and let me tell you, one of the best decisions I have ever made!  I've always wanted to learn more scripture and wanted to hunger for God's word, and while I am still on that journey, I can not tell you what a difference learning these verses has made in my life and my walk with the Lord.  I literally yearn for and WANT to be in God's word, and I CAN NOT tell you how many times, the scripture that I chose to learn for a two-week period really was exactly the word from the Lord that I needed to hear those weeks or in the near future.  Or these words came to my mind when a friend was in a situation where I could encourage or support because I had those words hidden in my heart. 

I have to admit, I did not learn all 24-I actually lost my spiral for a bit and sometimes forgot to post.  And some verses, I never FULLY memorized, but those verses still had a powerful impact on my life as I read and re-read them throughout those two weeks.  I'd often go back and read through them all to remind me of what I had learned and sometimes one of my old verses was just the word I needed to hear that day.

And why do I call this the Psalm 119 Sisters?  Well, the idea definitely came from Beth Moore who calls her blog community "Siestas", a term of endearment for sisters in Christ.  And then I choose Psalm 119:105: "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path," because it is my prayer that learning God's word will truely give us direction and help us know which way to go and how God wants us to live so that we can fully experience God's love and share that love with others.
So pray about it, think about it, and if this is something you'd like to do, keep reading!  And feel free to join other lady friends to join as well!

So here is how it goes (these instructions borrowed from Beth's website)
1. On the 1st and 15th of every month of 2012, (or thereabouts), please post (as a comment) your verse (yes just one verse) for those two weeks. Please just type your name (first name and last initial), verse, and translation. For example: 

Carrie H. "Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity."  Colossians 4:5 NIV 

You can choose your own or if you see one that someone else posted that you like, feel free to use that one as well!  Try to choose ones that you haven't already memorized for something else.

2. As often as possible, choose a verse that means something to you in your present season or circumstance. This is the reason why we don’t all memorize the same Scripture. We’re not all going through the same things. The more you let God lead you to verses that direct you or edify your soul in your present circumstances, the more He will renew your mind toward your challenges.

3. Either shortly before or after making your entry each 1st and 15th in the blog comment, write the verse by hand in your own spiral/book/etc. A small index card spiral works great! Take that spiral with you everywhere you go. Read it and read it and read it and read it. Here's what Beth says to those who say "I'm just not good at memorizing things!" "First, that may change. Give the Holy Spirit a chance to do something brand new with you. Second, even if you don’t get your verses down word for word, you are still meditating on them as you read and reread them. You still, thereby, accomplish one of the most important goals: captivating the mind to Christ. You just can’t lose on this one. Either way, it has a powerful effect."

So here we go, I'd love you to join me!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much, Carrie, for issuing the invitation to do this. I've made other attempts over the years but was never successful...this feels like a good time to try again with a little help from my friends (sounds like a song...). I've also taken the challenge PJ threw down on Sunday to read the Bible in 2012 using YouVersion...it's already making a difference.

    Julie J.: Instead you thrill to God's Word, you chew on Scripture day and night." Psalm 1:2 MSG

    ReplyDelete